|Thought this picture fit well.|
I am so blessed to be working in an environment that is completely understanding of my diabetes and the needs I have. As you can see, outlined from the lovely Dwarfs of Snow White, there are many added "benefits" that come with the Job Description of being a Diabetic.
- Yesterday, I probably used the bathroom over 6 times. I was very thirsty and kept drinking water which made me have to utilize the bathroom many times. Being that I am at a desk, and set my own pace of things, It was very easy for me to make the necessary trips to the bathroom and to the kitchen for that matter (to fill up my water bottle).
- I think I'm becoming a better Diabetic here at JDRF. I am surrounded by Diabetes all the time, reading up on peoples stories, ideas, opinions, research, complications, etc. That alone has made me check my blood sugar more often. Besides that, I am also working with other Type 1 Diabetics. One is just kitty-corner from me. I hear his meter every time he takes a check. That makes me whip out my meter to also check myself as well.
- Also, if I run low and am out of snacks, I have already been told who to go to for the best "to treat low" treats!
- I can eat, whenever I want, if I get hungry and/or Low. I can eat at my desk, in the lunch area, or head outside for a bit of fresh air (I've only done that on my Lunch Break though). I can also take my lunch break early or late, depending if my Diabetes is having an influence on that today.
- I don't have to hide taking injections. Sometimes in workplaces, it's easier to run to a locker room, bathroom, or kitchen area to take insulin. But here at JDRF, I can just whip out my pen and shoot up right at my desk, or in the lunch room. No need to hide anything!